Montgomery Ward Department Store was a Chicago-based chain with stores in Arkansas before its bankruptcy in 2001.
Little Rock stores
Montgomery Ward opened its first store in central Arkansas in 1928, only two years after the chain began opening retail stores. The chain occupied frontage at 408-414 Main Street in Little Rock. The Metzger Building housing the Main Street store was constructed in 1934.
The department store chain opened a 95,000-square-foot outlet in University Mall in 1967. That store closed on December 28, 2000.
North Little Rock store
Montgomery Ward opened a store in North Little Rock's McCain Plaza in March 1994. That store closed in January 1999.
- Jake Bleed, "Reappraisers Told of Sears' Rent at Mall; Officials: University Lease Kept Quiet," Arkansas Democrat-Gazette, August 31, 2002.
- Jennifer Christman, "End of a Pioneer: After 128 Years, the Montgomery Ward Retail Chain is Closing," Arkansas Democrat-Gazette, January 23, 2001.
- Leroy Donald, "Montgomery Ward Happy to be in NLR," Arkansas Democrat-Gazette, March 5, 1994.
- Edward Klump, "Midtown Limbo: What's in Store for Mall?" Arkansas Democrat-Gazette, June 13, 2004.
- Kristin Netterstrom, "LR City Director Calls for Halt to Downtown Demolition," Arkansas Democrat-Gazette, February 11, 2009.
- Mike Trimble, "30 Years Create Downtown Differences," Arkansas Gazette, May 2, 1982.
- "Montgomery Ward Closing Down; Lagging Sales Spell the End After 128 Years," Arkansas Democrat-Gazette, December 29, 2000.