Little Rock and Fort Smith Railroad
The Little Rock and Fort Smith Railroad was organized as the Little Rock and Fort Smith Branch of the Cairo and Fulton Railroad Company of November 25, 1853. The name of the railroad was changed to the Little Rock and Fort Smith Railroad Company on January 22, 1855. Eighty-two miles of track had been laid from the railway's terminus in Argenta, Arkansas, in 1871.
The railroad was foreclosed upon on December 10, 1874, and acquired by a new group of investors in a company also called the Little Rock and Fort Smith Railroad on December 19, 1874. The name of the company was changed to the Little Rock and Fort Smith Railway on June 12, 1875. The railway reached Van Buren, Arkansas, on January 30, 1879. The railroad was acquired by the St. Louis, Iron Mountain, and Southern Railway in 1906.
- Clifton E. "Gene" Hull, "From Mule Cars to Buses," Arkansas Railroader 17.10 (October 1986): 7-15.