Downtown Little Rock Unlimited

From FranaWiki

Downtown Little Rock Unlimited was a businessman's organization formed on May 31, 1959.

About three hundred people attended the first meeting of Downtown Little Rock Unlimited and pledged to work together to "save" Main Street. The first meeting was held in conjunction with the first meeting of the Urban Progress Association, which dedicated itself to an urban "modernization" campaign, in the Marion Hotel. Frank Lyon gave the first speech for Downtown Little Rock Unlimited and J. Wythe Walker spoke for Urban Progress. Downtown Little Rock Unlimited's first president was Houston Burford. Prominent attendees at the 1959 meeting were Jack East Jr., Raymond Rebsamen, Louis Munos, Arthur Phillips, Hugo Heiman, and Sam Strauss Sr.

The two groups merged into Little Rock Unlimited Progress in April 1970.


  • "Downtown Little Rock Revitalization Called Boon to Entire Area," Arkansas Gazette, June 2, 1959.
  • Bob Sallee, "Decrying Downtown's Demise," Arkansas Democrat-Gazette, June 17, 1997.

External links