Arkansas Confederate Home
The Arkansas Confederate Home was founded near Sweet Home in Pulaski County, Arkansas, on December 1, 1890. The home was established after a march on the capitol by veterans of the Civil War seeking disability and indigent care benefits. Major subscribers to purchase of land and a farm house were Major John D. Adams, Colonel John G. Fletcher, Major R. A. Little, and Colonel Thomas W. Steele. In 1891 the property was deeded to the state, and the Arkansas Legislature provided $10,000 for the erection of a permanent home open to fifty veterans.
In 1896 the Arkansas Secretary of State H. B. Armistead recommended in his annual report recommended that funds for the purchase of tobacco for the home be increased as "nearly all the inmates of the Home are inordinate users of tobacco, and become restless and dissatisfied when the supply of the weed is cut short."
- Report of the Arkansas Office of the Secretary of State (Little Rock: Tunnah & Pittard, 1896), 5-7.