Western Union Telegraph Co.
Western Union Telegraph Co. opened the third telephone exchange in the country in Little Rock in 1879. Within a year the company had its first ten subscribers. Each paid $4 each month for the service. In 1880 phone service to Hot Springs became available, and in 1885 telephone lines spanning the Arkansas River connected the city to Argenta (now known as North Little Rock).
At the beginning of the twentieth century Western Union's main competitor was National Bell Telephone Company.
The company occupied frontage at 201-203 Main Street in 1952.
- Mike Trimble, "30 Years Create Downtown Differences," Arkansas Gazette, May 2, 1982.