University of Arkansas Graduate Institute of Technology
The University of Arkansas Graduate Institute of Technology (UALR Graduate Institute of Technology) provides maintenance, engineering, and computational science expertise in support of the high technology graduate programs at the University of Arkansas at Little Rock.
The Graduate Institute of Technology was founded in February 1958 in the former College of Medicine Building at 1201 McAlmont Street. The program offered scientific and technical postgraduate degrees in physical chemistry, organic chemistry, analytical chemistry, and nuclear chemistry; nuclear and atomic physics; electronics; instrumentation; and process control. Some funding was provided by the National Aeronautics and Space Administration for space science research and research with lasers. Other funding came from Arkansas industries.
In the early 1970s the Graduate Institute of Technology began offering masters of science degrees in Applied Mathematics, Chemistry, Engineering, and Instrumental Sciences, and a Ph.D. degree in Instrumental Sciences.
In 1987 the Graduate Institute of Technology relocated to a new Engineering Technology and Applied Science Building on the UALR campus. The UALR Department of Electronics and Instrumentation (now the UALR Department of Applied Science) was formed from parts of the Institute in 1989.
The Institute since 2003 has provided institutional support to the UALR College of Engineering and Information Technology and UALR College of Science and Mathematics.