Union & Mercantile Trust Company
Union & Mercantile Trust Company was founded as the Union Trust Company in Little Rock, Arkansas, in 1902. The bank was formed from a merger of assets of the S. J. Johnson Company and Guaranty Trust Company. In 1919 Union Trust merged with the Mercantile Trust Company and the bank again changed names to Union Mercantile Trust. In 1924 the bank was known simply as Union Trust. The name changed in 1933 to Union Bank, and in 1934 after receiving a national bank charter to Union National Bank.
From 1968 to 1993 the bank occupied the twenty-one story Union National Bank Building at 400 Main Street. The bank building was the tallest tower in Arkansas until November 1969 when it was surpassed by the Worthen Bank Building. Union National Bank was one of the largest Little Rock banks in the twentieth century. The bank ceased to exist as a separate entity after a 1993 merger with Worthen Bank.
- Z. B. Curtis (cashier)
- Moorehead Wright (president)
- "Bigger Taller, Costlier: Landmark Buildings Outdo Each Other," Arkansas Business, December 27, 1999.
- Mike Trimble, "30 Years Create Downtown Differences," Arkansas Gazette, May 2, 1982.