Medical Department of the University of Arkansas
The Medical Department of the University of Arkansas (originally known as the Medical Department of Arkansas Industrial University) was founded in September 1879 in the old Sperindio Hotel located at 113 West Second Street.
The first physicians and charter members of the Medical Department were Edwin Bentley, Augustus Louis Breysacher, James A. Dibrell, Philo Oliver Hooper, Roscoe Greene Jennings, John McAlmont, James H. Southall, and Claibourne Watkins.
The Medical Department combined with the College of Physicians and Surgeons Medical School in 1911. During the Great Depression the school moved to the building presently occupied by the Bowen School of Law near MacArthur Park. In 1956 the school moved to its present location and became known as University Hospital, and later as the University of Arkansas Medical Center (UAMC) and University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences (UAMS).
Deans of the Medical Department
- Philo O. Hooper (1879-1886)
- James A. Dibrell (1886-1904)
- Edwin Bentley (1904-1907)
- James H. Lenow (1907-1912)
- The City of Little Rock: Guide to the "City of Roses" for Visitors and Citizens (Little Rock, AR: Guide Publishing Company, 1890), 21, 23-24.