Arkansas State Lunatic Asylum

From FranaWiki
Revision as of 21:56, 30 January 2012 by Phil (talk | contribs)
(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)

The Arkansas State Lunatic Asylum opened in Little Rock on March 1, 1883. The building was constructed in the imposing Kirkbride style, named after a nineteenth-century physician and asylum superintendent who wrote a popular book on hospital design. The original structure was demolished in the 1960s.

The asylum was renamed the State Hospital for Nervous Diseases in 1905, and later the Arkansas State Hospital. The first medical director of the asylum was C. C. Forbes.


  • Acts, Joint Resolutions, Concurrent Resolutions, and Constitutional Amendments of the ... General Assembly of the State of Arkansas (Printers to the State, 1905), 40-41.

External links