Arkansas State Highway Commission
The Arkansas State Highway Commission administers the Arkansas State Highway and Transportation Department. The six commissioners are appointed to staggered ten-year terms by the Governor. The Arkansas State Highway Commission was first organized in 1913 under Act 302. At first there were three commissioners whl reported to the Department of State Lands, Highways, and Improvements. The number was increased to five under the Harrelson Road Law of 1923 (also known as Act 5). Highway bonds fell under the purview of the Commission beginning in 1927 under Act 11, the Martineau Road Law. In 1929 the State Highway Commission became its own independent entity under Act 65. In 1933 the Commission was dismantled under Act 3 over the controversial issue of road bonds. The State Highway Commission was re-established by the Mack-Blackwell amendment in 1952.
The current commissioners are Jonathan Barnett (chairperson), Dan Flowers (director), Cliff Hoofman, R. Madison Murphy, John Ed Regenold, and Carl Rosenbaum (vice chairman).
- Historic Review: Arkansas State Highway Commission and Arkansas State Highway and Transportation Department, 1913–1992 (Little Rock: Arkansas State Highway Transportation Department, 1992).
- John Hume, "The Automobile Age in Arkansas," vols. 23–25 (Little Rock: Arkansas State Highway and Transportation Department, 1977–1979).