Arkansas History Commission & State Archives
The Arkansas History Commission & State Archives is an agency of the State of Arkansas, and the official repository of manuscripts, microforms, and published materials on the state. The Arkansas History Commission was created by act of the General Assembly in 1905. The founder of the Commission was University of Arkansas at Fayetteville historian John Hugh Reynolds.
The archives were originally located inside the Arkansas State Capitol building. The first director of the Arkansas History Commission was Dallas T. Herndon, hired in 1911. In 1951 the Commission's archives moved to the Old State House on Markham Avenue. The Commission moved again in 1979 to its present location in the One Capitol Mall Building.
Directors of the Arkansas History Commission
- Dallas T. Herndon (1911-1953)
- Ted R. Worley (1953-1960)
- John L. Ferguson (1960-2005)
- Wendy Richter (2005-present)