Arkansas Carpet and Furniture Company
Arkansas Carpet and Furniture Company was a downtown Little Rock carpet, furnishings, and upholstery business. The business was established as the Cole Carpet Company in 1887 by stockholders Charles H. Cole, Louis Renard, Alex Moore, Frank T. Vaughan, and Stonewall J. Beauchamp. Their store was originally located at 208-210 Main Street, with a warehouse on Water Street. The name of the company was changed to Arkansas Carpet and Furniture Company in 1889 when the decision was made to add furniture to the mix of goods for sale at the store. The name changed again briefly between 1905 and 1908 to Beauchamp-Polk Carpet.
In the early 1910s the store occupied frontage at the intersection of Sixth and Main streets. The motto of the company in that decade was "The House That Quality Built." The main store eventually migrated to 709-715 Main Street before closing in 1980-1981. The last president of the company was E. Vernon Markham Jr..
- The Standard Blue Book of Arkansas, 1911-1914 (Dallas, TX: A. J. Peeler & Co., 1914).