Heber L. McAlister
Heber L. McAlister was the third president of the Arkansas State Teachers College (ASTC) in Conway (now known as UCA), serving from 1930 to 1941. McAlister became interim president in 1929 when the prior president, Burr Walter Torreyson, announced a leave of absence for health reasons.
McAlister had attended Mississippi College and the University of Chicago before joining the faculty of Ouachita College in Arkadelphia, Arkansas, in 1907. He joined the faculty of ASTC after the first World War. In 1928 he was named commander of the 153rd Infantry of the Arkansas National Guard.
Ten buildings were erected during McAlister's Depression-era administration, including McAlister Hall, Wingo Hall, Ida Waldran Auditorium, the Prince Center, Doyne Annex (Meadors Hall), the President's Home, Commons (McCastlain Hall), Bernard Hall, the National Youth Administration Building (Baridon Hall), the Home Management House, and a Heating Plant.
- Jimmy Bryant, The Centennial History of the University of Central Arkansas (Virginia Beach, VA: Donning Company, 2008), 42-53.