Mabelvale is a southern suburb of Little Rock in Pulaski County. The town is located at the intersection of Mabelvale Cut Off Road and Sardis Road south of U.S. Highway 67. The area is served by the public Mabelvale Middle School and the Mabelvale Post Office next door.
Commerce and Industry
Mabelvale expanded from a station located along the St. Louis, Iron Mountain, and Southern Railway about ten miles southwest of downtown Little Rock. The population by 1892 was approximately 100. In that year there were a number of fruit growers in the area including William Bauer, Ernest Heinke, Frank Lackman, and Henry Schmedes. Saw mills were operated by J. F. George, William N. Nickolson, and Pritchard & Son. The local physicians were J. M. Young and James Lewellen. General stores were open under John M. King and D. McKnight. The local blacksmith was J. A. Ginns. Finley & White operated a cotton gin and grist mill, as did E. Lamair and Pritchard & Grogan. The Swampangel Tannery was located here, operated by H. Morehast & Son. The local lawyer was F. O. Lusk.
- Arkansas State Gazetteer and Business Directory (Chicago, IL: R.L. Polk Company, 1892).